Friday, April 02, 2021

Play the whole album - The Black Keys - Brothers

If you have a Spotify or any other music streaming service that lets you listen to entire albums in one go, I've got some homework for you.


Usually when I do these reviews, I go through each song and tell you what I think about each one. I'm not going to do that.

Am I being lazy? Maybe. But what's really going on here is that for the first time in a long time, maybe a decade or more, I've come across an album that, unlike most albums these days, has more than one or two great songs. Heck, more than 5. Maybe more than 8.

The thing about this album is the style. The Black Keys don't try to play in every part of the music spectrum. They found their niche and they play it to death. But each song is a story. The feel, the vibe gives this album the kind of quality that, if you didn't know any better and someone told you that it came out in 1974, it wouldn't be hard to believe. This is a collection of music with the same iconic nature as The Allman Brothers or Derek and the Dominos.

The sound is raw and distorted. The drums are relentless. It's as if Gary Glitter went to rock school with the likes of The White Stripes.

No comments: