2. If you were shopping right now, would you buy this? If you wouldn't buy this item now, why would you keep it?
3. Is the only thing that's keeping you from disposing this item that you don't want to waste money? Think of it this way: You wasted money when you bought an item you don't use.
4. Are you holding on to this for sentimental value? Be strict and keep only a few of the items in a small memorabilia box. Then take a photo of items you are throwing away so you can keep them forever.
5. Do you have a similar item that serves the same purpose? If yes, then get rid of one of them.
6. Do you have a realistic plan to use this? Remember, don't lie to yourself about how perfect an item would be for Halloween. Make sure you have a concrete plan to use the item, and if you don't use it within the time frame you set for yourself to use it, then toss it.
7. Does it fit you or your living space? You may love it, but do you have space for the item or does it even suit you now? Think hard on what to keep — your space is sacred.
8. Are you holding on to the broken item to fix in the future? Fix it now, or if you don't get around to fixing in the next two weeks, then toss it.