Friday, February 12, 2021

Play the whole album - The Beta Band - The Three E.P.s

If you have a Spotify or any other music streaming service that lets you listen to entire albums in one go, I've got some homework for you.


There was a time when I had never heard of The Beta Band. But you hear about bands in the most unexpected places. In this case, the movie High Fidelity, Rob, played by John Cusack whispers in Dick's ear, "I will now sell five copies of 'The Three E.P.s' by The Beta Band." Oh Rob, much more than five man. Much more than five. Once the movie was over, I checked out this album and I was hooked.

The Three E.P.'s wasn't new material, is was a compilation album of the first three releases by the Scottish musical group, comprising the EPs Champion Versions, The Patty Patty Sound and Los Amigos del Beta Bandidos.

The album leads of with the song that was sampled in the aforementioned movie, Dry the Rain. As soon as it begins, you know you've stumbled onto something new, but it has that certain something you recognize that makes you ask yourself, "Man, where have I heard this before?" Well, if you can imagine Nick Drake crossed with Beck, you'd get a sense for the kind of folk-tronica fusion we're experiencing. But when the trumpet kicks in at 3:42, I'm seriously hooked.

Come on, start track two (I Know) and tell me you're not expected Beck's voice to chime in at any second. Or that guy from Cake, now that I think about it.

I don't actually know why they decided on the name The Beta Band (they were originally going to call themselves The Pigeons), but when I listen to their music, it's so uncomplicated that you almost get the feeling that they go into the studio like going into a research lab to try different combinations out.

Dogs Got a Bone is as folksy as it gets. I don't know why, but it reminds me of summer, the kind of song you'd expect to get played during a late summer night in the north when the sun is still up at 9pm. Maybe it's just me.

Inner Meet Me gets a little spacey. There's a synth effect at the beginning that is exactly like Steve Miller's Jungle Love. It's one of the weirdest openings for a song that, as soon as the guitar kicks in, it settles into that familiar Beta Band groove.

Remember what I said earlier about laboratory? The Monolith is pure experimentation. If that's not your thing, skip ahead to....

My favourite track on this collection. The weird instrument sounds come fast and furious here, but this slowly turns into a tune you can't avoid harmonizing along with. You just get comfortable when the band reverts right back to its experimental roots.

Dr. Baker has a lot of fun with basic vocal melodies, sparse piano and fun percussion effects. By now, you're either enjoying this musical bravery, or, well, getting tired of it. But you know how it goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Needles in My Eyes closes the album and it's another tune I like. Oh, what's this? Organ with a Leslie speaker. Nice touch. Just when I thought they didn't have any more tricks up their sleeve. No musical trickery though, just a nice rollicking melody, but a playing style that reminds you that they don't take themselves too seriously.


No comments: