Saturday, May 31, 2008

Comparing laptop brands

Someone once wrote me and asked, "What is the best laptop brand?" I was reading over my answer to them and decided to share it with y'all.

"This is like asking "what is the best car manufacturer?" It really depends on your personal preferences. Ask 100 different people and you'll get 25 different answers. But since you're asking....... If I were buying a laptop, here are brands I would consider (not necessarily in this order): Toshiba; HP; Dell; Apple. The ones that I list here have been good to me in various capacities. The ones I have not listed either have their flaws (in my eyes) or I have no experience with them.

How helpful was that though - really? Buying a laptop is as much about whether you like the features it comes with; whether the price is right; whether it's comfortable to use (for you); whether you can find after sales accessories for it; how long the battery lasts; whether it has enough USB ports; whether it's pretty (yes - that's important to some people).... the list goes on. Find one you like, then look for online reviews on that model. If you can't find anything blatantly wrong with it - buy it.

I usually tell my clients something they hate me for when I say it but acknowledge me after they live it - you'll never know what you like or don't like about something until you buy it. If you're lucky, you'll discover the things you don't like right away and return the item for a better one. If you're less lucky, you'll discover the bad things later and vow never to suffer that bad thing again. Believe it or not - this happens even to those of us who know our stuff."

No comments: