Friday, September 14, 2007

More differences from the UK

More things that are different in England:
  • Petrol is expensive. 97 pence per litre. Equals $2.04CAD per litre. Equals $7.47USD per gallon (for my US friends)
  • It cost $120CAD to fill the tank on our hire car (rental car)
  • My colleague said it would take $250 to fill his truck here
  • Not surprisingly, mopeds are everywhere, as are motorcycles
  • Good luck finding a convenience store open past 11pm
  • If somebody offers you a 'cuppa', they mean a cup of tea or coffee
  • It is illegal to speak on the cell phone while driving - and they don't do it - they pull over
  • The variety of accents here is amazing - even if you discount the foreigners

Well, posts may get sparse for the next few days as we're getting into the crux of our work here now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably on your profile (which I haven't read) but what sort of work do you do that requires a couple weeks in the UK? And do you need a medical transcriptionist? I'm probably doomed with the Brit version of spelling anyway.

Er and will I understand what you said about your work (which would explain your interest in Improv).

Karl Plesz said...

I'm a training developer who occasionally gets to deliver the product I develop. This trip is just such a case. I teach technology related courses.

I'm afraid to say I do not need a medical transcriptionist.

And if it makes you feel any better, not all of my destinations are this exciting.