Friday, September 14, 2007

Going round and round the roundabout

Now that I've been in the UK for over a week, I can honestly say I am totally impressed with the phenomenon that is common in Europe but pretty rare in North America. I'm talking of course about the roundabout (traffic circle). They're a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of them, you come to realize that they're a much more efficient method of processing traffic through an intersection. The beauty of the roundabout is that if you miss your exit, you just go around again. Unlike a normal intersection, roundabouts allow for more than 4 roads to intersect. Roundabouts also make it easy to go back the way you came if you find the need to make a u-turn.

Makes me wish we had more of them in Canada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roundabouts work great as soon as you get used to driving on the right. I screwed up my first right hand turn out on a country road just out of Hereford. I turned into the right lane instead of the left. Lucky no one was coming.

Dafydd