Sunday, September 30, 2007

Houston, the ego has landed.....

Yesterday I attended the Loose Moose company class for the first time. I had attended other Moose classes before, but they were pre-show - and those are specifically meant to help warm up and select the participants of the show to follow, which I certainly did not strive to do - not yet.

The class was an eye opener. I clambered to get on stage to try out a few scenes and was torn to shreds by the instructor. The good news is if the rest of the class needs an example of what not to do, I'm it for now. It was frustrating, but I tried not to let it deter me. The fact is - I'm totally green and the learning curve is going to be quite steep for a while. It was comforting to hear that other classmates had issues they needed to work out too, so I'm not alone.

Things learned? It's vital to realize that you can't analyze your way into, through or out of a scene - you have to just do it. It helps the scene a lot if someone gets at least somewhat specific as to where you are and why or what you're doing, especially in short scenes. I have a lot to learn when it comes to offers and blocking. There seems to be this balance of play versus reality in the sense that, although your fellow actors may know that anything you say or do is not for real, there's an element of it that is based on your own thoughts, so you still kinda have to be aware of what you're saying and doing so as not to offend. This shit is hard!

I'm looking forward to next class.

No comments: