Saturday, September 08, 2007

Cardiff to Bournemouth

Now reporting to you from beautiful Bournemouth on the south coast of England. What I would describe as the English Mediterranean. More on that later.

Now that I finally have a dependable internet connection (that doesn't require stealthily acquiring it on some roadside bench), I have posted a selection of Cardiff pictures on Facebook - the album is called Wales 2007. The picture to the left links to it as well. Enjoy. (I think you need to be logged into Facebook to see it)

So we left Cardiff this morning and made a side trip to Stonehenge on the way to Bournemouth. My luck with the sun gave out just as we left Wales, so my experience with the famous old rocks was grey and damp (but not wet - no rain). Pictures of the 'henge are forthcoming of course. Not far beyond that site, I spotted columns of hay randomly placed in the fields. I joked to my colleague that it must be Hayhenge. [snort]

Finally, we pull into Bournemouth and guess what? Out comes the sun again. I am truly blessed. My colleague can't believe it. The weather is perfect. Our hotel is right on the god damned ocean, up on a cliff. I didn't get a room with a view, but who cares - the 'view' is viewable by walking outside a few feet. Bournemouth is much hilly-er than Cardiff. It's a tourist town, but also a retirement community and a college town. I would offer that if you took away the folks under 25 and over 60, the place would be dead. Much more to come on Bournemouth as I'm here for the next 12 days. I'd love to stay and chat, but I have a coast sunset to go watch. Ciao.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you going to London town to take a picture of the fist female Palace guard, you know the ones who stand there in two foot tall beaver hats and ignore tourists?

Karl Plesz said...

I am going to London, but it's one of those I have one day to kill before I catch my flight back home rush rush rush kind of days. I'm not even staying in London, I'm at Heathrow, so I have to waste time taking the tube there and back. So I'm going to try and cram as much tourist activity in one 12 hour period as I can. So I might see the female Beefeater, but if I do - it'll be by pure luck.

Anonymous said...

You won't see Beefeaters at Buckingham Palace. The Beefeaters are the guards at the Tower of London. The hats are called Bearskins for obvious reasons and they are 18" high and are made of Canadian Black Bearskins.

Hope your enjoying the English Riviera

Dafydd