Friday, June 29, 2007

New and improved!

If you know me at all, you would know I'm a big fan of Google Maps. One of the things about this online resource that I was never really keen on is the Get Directions feature. When you plug in a start and end address, you might get a logical route, but it may not be the route you would have chosen yourself. But the process of changing the route wasn't very easy. Until now.....

Google Maps now makes it possible to modify your route by simply grabbing the route. When the hand pointer gets close to the route line, it changes to have the ability to grab a box on the route line. You just drag the route to where you want it to go and Google re-calculates the route.

In my example, the top map shows the default chosen route from Calgary to Seattle via Kamloops and Vancouver. But I chose to change the route to go via Great Falls and Spokane as seen in the bottom map. But there's more.....

Here's an excellent video demo.

No comments: