Thursday, May 24, 2007

And so it begins again.....

So I started a new acting class last night. New company, new teacher, 3 classmates from the last
class, 10 new ones.

This class is less about concepts, technique and acting games and more about pairing up with someone and mastering a scene. So this is going to be very different. The scenes that were picked out for everyone are decent. I think this class is really going to test everyone's abilities. We have to invest some of our own time on this one too, as 6 classes at 4 hours each is not enough time to develop the scene properly at our experience level - or so I presume. I'm going to miss getting to play with the whole class during the whole session, so I hope we still have some class-level exercises.

It's too bad that you don't get a report card when it's all over. I sometimes get the feeling that there are folks in the acting community who think they have skill, but who really don't. I often wonder if there are 3 kinds of actors - actors who can't act (but think they can), actors who can act, but need more refinement and actors who are naturals. Then I wonder which category I fall into. If I was to guess, I would not pick the naturals category. I don't think I fall into the can't act pool, but I would certainly want someone (qualified) to tell me if that was the case.

No matter, for now it's fun, it's a life altering experience and I get to meet more awesome people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, for the insight, Karl, now I know what to expect when I go do it on Saturday :)

From working with you for 3 months, I think you fall into the second category. You are a great actor, and with the Rogues help, you can achieve that much more amount of greatness. :)

Anonymous said...

In case you are wondering, Karl, it's me Terry :)

JuicyA said...

I noticed that the class is made up with 2 types of people-- people who want to play....and 'i have an agent already and this is the only thing i plan to do with my life' types...

Karl Plesz said...

Yep. I know exactly what you mean.

Terry: Thanks for the kind words.