Wednesday, May 23, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 24

24. I don't need to drink alcohol to have fun.

Although I've walked that mile too. There was a time when you would have found me in the clubs every night of the week, dancing on tables (in places that allowed it...... OK, even in places that didn't), making a complete fool of myself. That does a number on your body, not to mention your budget.

While I was still young, I discovered that you don't have to get drunk to enjoy yourself - at least I don't. In fact, there are numerous benefits to remaining mostly sober, not the least of which is - you can continue partying as late as you want - watch everyone else make a fool of themselves - even join in if the mood strikes you - and still drive home. Since you can actually remember what happened, you also get to preserve those memories for yourself..... or to recount those memories to those same revellers the next day.

I honestly don't know how some folks afford the booze they consume. I'm just glad I don't need it. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the odd glass of spirits from time to time. But it's no longer a prerequisite to a good time.

No comments: