Saturday, May 05, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 46

46. I discovered women at the age of 14 at Seaside Heights NJ. One of These Nights by The Eagles was playing on the boardwalk PA.

I don't know how it is / was for other young 'uns, but it's like one minute you're not really noticing the opposite sex and the next minute - you are. For me, that minute happened on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, New Jersey, summer 1975. I was seated on a bench, the sun was setting, it was warm, there was a light breeze. The boardwalk was filled with the kinds of amusements you'd see at any fairground (for those of you that have never taken in an Atlantic coast boardwalk). The joint had music playing over loudspeakers throughout the place and the song was One of These Nights. Then I noticed them. The women. The song was completely apropos.

No comments: