Tuesday, May 29, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 19

19. I did inhale. Many times.

I will not elaborate. And you'll never prove it one way or the other. But enough about that - let me tell you a story.

I remember when I joined the military and the recruiter asked if I had ever done drugs. I said no. He didn't believe me. I'm not surprised, but it was true. I lived a sheltered childhood and managed to avoid the stuff. But I'll tell you what.... The military made drugs more accessible to everyone than most folks would admit. I mean, it was stupid. Here we all were in a career that could be ended instantly if you were caught with drugs, yet I never saw more pot-heads in my life. Heck, one of my room-mates in Tech school was a convicted drug dealer from Aylmer, Quebec. He had been stood in front of a judge who offered him two choices for a sentence - jail time or join the Army. So.......... we had access. But some people were just plain stupid about it. If you were under the influence while on duty or near a Base - that was asking for trouble if you ask me. And it was these same folks who got caught. Eventually, random urine tests came out. I passed the tests. And that's all I'm gonna say.

Boy, if this doesn't stir up some discussion, nothing will.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quit having to do with any drug like thing (people, contraband, anything!) due to the enlistment of the first drug dog on the police force. That was 15 years ago, I am a big believer in the talent of a canine. bless their little pea pickin hearts

Karl Plesz said...

Yeah. I guess some folks are lucky the military didn't have dogs. But then they don't really have a use for such a resource.