Thursday, March 15, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 93

93. I love music. Especially eclectic music.

I was a late bloomer with regards to a great many things. Music was no different. But I made up for lost time once I left home, using much of my disposable Army income to buy music and DJing on the side (I was a quick study - play music and get paid for it.... no brainer). Since this was the 1980s, it was the new wave era. The month I spent in Germany in 1982 introduced me to artists that had yet to make it across the Atlantic to Canada, so I was hooked on the Euro scene as well, eventually grooving to the likes of OMD, Eurythmics, Yaz, Thomas Dolby, Ultravox, Jean Michel Jarre, Visage, Art of Noise, Tears for Fears, etc. The new wave thing made a huge impact on my social life and I can proudly say I am the owner of the Rhino 15 CD set of "Just Can't Get Enough" New Wave Hits of the 80s. Thus began my love for music that was unique.

Enter newer artists like Zero 7, Hooverphonic, Air, Moby, Beck, Groove Armada...... too many to list here. Needless to say, my need for the eclectic is certainly not being fulfilled by the traditional radio stations in my area, although one indepedent and one university station are placating me somewhat. So, I've always had this fantasy of owning and running this cool, laid back, new media lounge / bar / restaurant / gadget shop / art gallery / play area where my favourite artists (music and otherwise) received regular rotation and I became the new Andy Warhol. I guarantee there would be nary a peep of hip-hop or country and western at my place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog listed at blogsearch.sg It was interesting to read your story

Karl Plesz said...

Really? How interesting? Which story?