Sunday, February 11, 2007

If I had my own radio station - Jon & Vangelis

If you’re looking for something different, let me take you back through the musical archives. Back to 1981, when Jon Anderson, the vocalist from Yes with the unmistakable voice joined forces with one of the most innovative music composers of our time – Vangelis. If the name Vangelis is not quite familiar to you – think soundtrack to Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire.

I enjoy Vangelis’ work in its own right, but the pairing of Jon and Vangelis is like a fairy tale book come to life as music. I like to describe Jon & Vangelis as if an alien civilization stumbled upon our music and tried to interpret and re-create it. Take The Friends of Mr. Cairo (the album) for example. The title track is reminiscent of a Hollywood B-movie soundtrack, but it has an emotional component that wants to make you forgive its cheesiness. Even if you find it all too much, State of Independence is a classic tune. Don’t take my word for it; the song has been covered by such artists as Moodswings, Quincy Jones and Donna Summer.

No comments: