Sunday, October 22, 2006

Interview with Cory of Menaredumb.ca

A few weeks ago, I met Cory Dirks, who is going to write a book about dating. More specifically, a book for men, about women. I asked Cory if I could mention his project on my blog and spoke to him on the phone the other day:

Me: Cory, could you please explain what men are dumb is all about in your own words?

Cory: Trying to help men have a better understanding of women. What women would like to see in a potential mate. Dating in particular - it's about dating etiquette.

Me: What motivated you to start this project?

Cory: Personally, I didn't really have much of a clue when it came to dating. I got married and divorced early. My mother had bought me a book for Christmas with quotes from married women about relationships and that gave me the idea to write a book about dating.

Me: So the site menaredumb.ca is hosting a survey where you hope to collect as much insight from as many women as possible, the end result that these results could make it into your book.

Cory: Yeah, I'm looking for colourful answers to make the book more interesting. I'm finding that women are as interested in reading the results in the book as I hope men will be. They want to know where they stand.

Me: What would you say to women afraid to put their name to the answers?

Cory: The name isn't as important to me as the age and career (to create a demographic). Women can use an alias. I believe my survey will show there is a difference (in opinions) between women in certain age groups.

Me: How would someone contribute a story that's not covered in the questions?

Cory: I wasn't asking for true stories at first. But at the end of the survey, there's a question "have I missed anything". That's where I've been getting a lot of really good straight from-the-hip information. I'm not getting the juicy or fun stories I was hoping for. But it's still been a lot of fun so far.

Me: When are you hoping to have enough information collected to get started on the book.

Cory: Tentatively, I'm looking at February. That's still up in the air. I'm going to see how many completed surveys I've got. I think some ladies when they look at the survey don't take it seriously. I feel the site's been misrepresented elsewhere. They made it sound like it's a place to find an easy way to pick up women - but that's not what we're about. This is about helping men be able to present themselves in a manner that women will find them compelling.


Cory and I agreed that this survey is open to all women, married or single. Please take the time to check it out and share your perspective about dating.

No comments: