Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Backing myself into a corner - take 2

I decided to re-post this after discovering new material.

Ever since I learned defensive driving in the military, I've opted to back into parking stalls. In fact, in one place I used to live, it was frowned upon to drive straight into your driveway, so as to avoid backing over anyone's kids. It's gotten to the point where I no longer understand why you would want to back out of a stall. One web site refers to this style of parking as Fancy Parking.

When you fancy park, getting out is a breeze because you're already facing the right direction and can see what's coming. I guess the only real problem with fancy parking is dealing with impatient (or inexperienced) drivers who don't comprehend why you're stopped in the middle of a parking aisle with your reverse lights and turn indicator on. Or the person that tailgates you all over the parking lot looking for an empty spot, then while you're stopped to back in, they drive in behind you and take it. One of the methods listed on the site is called the Drive-Thru (shown above). This is the ultimate, because you get to have your cake and eat it too. Drive in - then drive out. Sweet.

These issues aside, I will always fancy park. It's much safer and has been proven to cause fewer parking realted accidents.

1 comment:

Tawcan said...

Interesting....perhaps I should try "fancy parking" sometime