Sunday, August 08, 2004

Son of a beach

As a kid I spent most of my summers in New Jersey, where my mom is from. And considering the Atlantic Ocean was less than an hour from us, we made many visits to the ocean beaches. Those beaches were beautiful and left a huge impression on me.

While I lived in Kingston Ontario during most of my military career, we had decent beaches nearby too - Sandbanks Park on Lake Ontario. At least 4 or 5 kilometres of beach and sand dunes. It wasn't the coast, but it was a fine beach nonetheless.

So when I moved to Calgary 10 years ago, I asked people here, "where's your beaches?". They offered me Sylvan Lake. Well you can imagine the look on my face when I finally went to see it. I may be exaggerating, but it seemed the beach was less than a city block long.

I guess perception is everything. If you grew up with this as your only beach, it would seem adequate. I'd love to see their faces if they were to visit Sandbanks in Ontario, especially North Beach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karl,

Its Bill Nelson here. Firstly thanks for the invite to the site. I recall a beach in Australia it was on an island 3 quarters around the island was natural white silicone like sand. They were filming a coke commercial while we were docked there we spent the night. During sunset and sunrise the beach would turn the color of the sunset/rise it was the most breath-taking scene ever played before my eyes. If I am ever to Marry that would have to be the place. I cant quite recall what the name of the island was but it was in the whitsunday island group off the East coast of Aus.