Friday, August 04, 2023

What Pee-wee meant to me

I was 25 when Pee-wee’s Playhouse came on TV. It was the weirdest thing I ever saw in my life (at that point). I didn’t know many people who liked it as much as I did. But I loved its wackiness, its artistic style. I liked that the show’s music was created by Mark Mothersbaugh, also of the weird band Devo and Cyndi Lauper. I can’t listen to the Chaps song Tequila without seeing Pee-wee doing his trademark dance on the table.


I found it interesting that the show always had a positive message, even if it was wrapped in wacky delivery. Every time I read an anecdote from a friend of Paul’s, it always seems to have the same common theme. “He looks you in the eye and makes you feel loved and important.” 

RIP Paul Reubens. Thank you for making it cool to be original. [SCREAMS] Oh no! I said the secret word… original.

No comments: