Thursday, December 29, 2022

More copyright nonsense


Here's a story that you might find interesting. As a treat for all my blog readers I was going to put together a music quiz. I thought to myself, it would be cool to pick out some random songs that most people would know, maybe some people would know, maybe everybody knows, take the first few seconds of the songs and put them together in a video posted on YouTube. So I got started on that project, And after about an hour's effort the video was uploaded to YouTube checked buy the sensors from hell and it was immediately labelled a copyright infringement and therefore would be blocked from access for a handful of countries which just happens to include Canada and the United States of America.

Now let's be clear. I was not posting entire songs. In fact, I was stringing together the beginnings of songs lasting in some cases as little as one second, and as much as five or six seconds. and yet, the copyright trolls still consider that copyright infringement. So, after my joy, excitement, and anticipation of whether or not my readers would be able to guess any or all of the songs I assembled was completely trounced by a bunch of greedy, self-serving bastards and their unwavering algorithm of stupidity, I'm in a real pissy mood.

Don't worry, I'll get over it. In fact, I'm probably over it by the time this gets posted on the blog. What a world we live in, when we can't even have a simple music trivia contest without breaking some arbitrary, and I think we can argue completely overreaching law that in fact solves nothing. Sorry, I take that back, it makes lawyers extraordinarily wealthy. Merry Christmas lawyers and music publishers, I hope your stockings are filled with coal. Okay, I'm done now. 


No comments: