Friday, October 16, 2020

Give me my sliced potatoes please

When Empire Company Limited announced it was buying Safeway Canada in 2013, my first thought was, "Yay! Now Safeway is going to get a decent deli like Sobey's and they'll all sell the same stuff." Of course we had no idea how the store branding itself was going to work, but I was secretly hoping Safeway would be absorbed into the Sobey's brand, since Empire owned them first.

That did not happen. Safeway stayed Safeway and Sobey's stayed Sobey's. They more or less started carrying the same stuff, but not completely. Which is what leads to this particular rant.


Guys! If you're going to carry a product, not only should you all carry it, at least every X or Y branded store should carry it all the time. Case in point - Simply Potatoes slices. I swear by these for making pan fried potatoes in short order. They're already par-boiled, so they cook fast. The problem is finding them. One visit, they're there. Next visit, they're gone or they've expired. Next visit, they're gone. Now you're thinking maybe they won't carry them anymore. 3 weeks later, there they are again. Sometimes a particular location will carry them for months, then nothing for months.

Yeah, I know - first world problems. But one of the reasons I shop where I shop is because of the products they carry. But man, if you carry something once, could you please carry it all the time?

Rant over.

No comments: