- You can stuff sausage casings with cupcake batter. Bake the stuffed casings at 325 F and only fill them halfway.
- A successful brain-gate interface allows tetra plegics the ability to control a robot arm with their mind.
- 2012 is the 250th anniversary of the sandwich.
- These restaurant names exist for real (yes, they're all in Asia): Happy Crack; Come & Wait; Restoran Fatso; Meat Patty Explode Stomach; Smart Noshery makes You Slobber; Herpes Pizza; Watery Coffee; Little Drooling Bear; Smell.
- 66% of the energy used to produce electricity is lost to waste or inefficiencies.
- James Doohan (Scotty) finally made it into space (aboard Space-X Falcon rocket that brought the Dragon capsule to the ISS).
- Bakelite, one of the first synthetic plastics, was invented in 1907 to replace the beetle excretion called shellac (It took 16,000 beetles six months to make a pound of shellac). It was used to make radios, telephones, ashtrays, and a thousand other things.
- MIT engineers have essentially invented the hypospray (a-la Star Trek), a means of injecting drugs into the body without a needle.
Sunday, June 03, 2012
Blog'd by Karl Plesz at 9:35 PM