Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Be sure to tip your server...... and try the veal

I am a firm believer in tipping your server at a restaurant. There seems to be some misunderstanding though among the eating-out community that I'd like to address.

The standard tip is 15% of the bill, before or after tax is up to you. I typically include the tax in the calculation. Since our federal GST amount is 5%, calculating the tip is as easy (in Alberta) as tripling the GST tax. So when does the standard tip apply and when does something else apply?

If the service was adequate, the standard 15% applies. One of the reasons I make sure to tip appropriately is that servers are often forced to share their tips with the rest of the staff as restaurant policy. It may be unfair, but it's the truth in many cases. I have heard people say that they often won't tip the standard amount if they're...... how shall I say......... eating beyond their means. Sorry - if you can afford to eat a meal out, you can afford to tip. The other excuse I love is "The food is too expensive, so I'm taking it out on the tip." Patently ridiculous.

I will tip more than the standard 15% if the service was better than expected, or if the server went above the call of duty. On the other extreme, I will reduce the tip when the server's performance warrants. Let me be clear, when there's something wrong with the food that is the responsibility of the food preparation staff, I do NOT take it out on the server. It's not their fault, so there's no point making them suffer. If there's an issue with the food, that's when you mention it to the server and perhaps the manager. The tip should only be reduced when the service is sub-standard.

So, what qualifies for a reduced tip? Slower than reasonable service. I still take into account if the server is busy or over-worked. It's usually obvious. If the server is standing around yacking with staff, that's grounds for a reduction, especially if I asked for something and am still waiting. Other grounds for reduced tip include the 'dump-and-run' manoeuvre, where someone drops off your food and never bothers to check up on you until you're done. Getting the order wrong is a big no-no as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep agree 100%. I love this one waitress who always exclaims, "Oh that sounds so good!" when we order.

On the other hand I avoid certain chains that force their waitpeople to greet you, "Howdy Cousin! I'm Cousin Becky!" Urp.

R