Thursday, August 12, 2010

The power of music

I am always fascinated by the power of music to change a person's mood. Association is one aspect of the phenomenon, where a song from your past has such a strong connection with an event or experience that every time you hear the song, you are instantly and effortlessly transported back to that time and place to relive that experience. But even music that has no connection to a specific place and time can alter your mood in a way very few other things can.

On my way home from work yesterday, I was in the midst of a mid-week funk - nothing serious, but I couldn't say with a straight face that I was 'happy'. Then I played some music from my iPhone over the car stereo. Skip... next song... skip... ahh, that's the one. Within seconds, the funk had washed away. I cracked open the sunroof, the sun strobed into the car through the trees and a smile slowly spread across my face. The power of music had cured my hump day blues, become the soundtrack to the rest of my day and made me happy to be alive. That mood affected Darlene when I got home and the rest of the day was great.

Thank you music.
(For those who are wondering what song magically transformed my day - it was Rushing by Moby)

1 comment:

carlae said...

LOVE the Moby!