Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Karl's review of The Men Who Stare at Goats

I have to admit, going into this movie, I was optimistic that although the premise and the humour might only appeal to a narrow audience, I wanted to be a part of that audience. Well, I came, I watched, I stared blankly at the TV screen. For exactly 94 minutes.

I like George Clooney. So it had that going for it. But after seeing this film, I imagined that when the casting director interviewed George, it went something like this:

"Have you ever been constipated George?"
"Yeah"
"Do you remember the faces you made?"

"Yeah"
"OK, I think we've got our man..."

I went through the whole movie without breaking into any kind of emotional reaction. No smiles, no tears, no frowns. It just seemed to have no effect on me whatsoever. Even when Ewan McGregor noted that these Army superhero wannabes referred to themselves as Jedis, or when he asked the group's spiritual leader if he could be a Jedi too, I couldn't even be bothered to crack a smile at the irony.

In the end, I didn't feel too bad, because I only recorded the movie on my DVR from the Movie Network for free. If I had actually paid for this movie, I think I would have been pissed.

No comments: