Friday, June 04, 2010

iPad encounter

So I had a chance to see my first iPad up close today, as a good friend has purchased one and brought it along for a lunch meeting.

The first thing that struck me about it is the price. Although there are cheaper models out there, the one my friend has (with the most memory and 3G capability) was over $800. We'll get back to that in a moment. By the way, that wouldn't include a case or blue tooth keyboard.

What I like about the iPad:
  • It's small. It's a nice balance between iPhone size and Macbook size.
  • The touch screen is very addictive.
  • The screen is big enough to make web surfing practical.
  • The screen is big enough to make remote access and control of computers practical (yes, it can use VNC)
  • iPhone apps will work on it.
  • It's gorgeous. I know..... I'm just sayin'.
  • Using Google maps on it as a navigating device (with 3G) is awesome.
  • The GUI is simple enough that even a toddler could use it.
  • It partners well with a blue tooth keyboard for those who do a lot of typing.
  • Battery life of 6 hours + is decent.
  • The LED-IT app turns it into a cool desk scrolling sign (although I'd not be likely to leave it unattended on my desk).
What I don't like about the iPad:
  • I have this nagging feeling of dread that I might drop it when I hold it.
  • It cannot store any application, video or music without using iTunes on a host computer.
  • It does not recharge via the interface cable (iPad to USB).
  • Applications that are not specifically ported to the iPad resolution display at iPhone screen size. The image can be enlarged to fill the screen, but at a reduced resolution.
  • Rogers wants $15 per month just for 250MB of data use (for existing customers).
  • Interoperability with Microsoft documents is not perfect (as indicated by my friend).
  • For $800, I could buy a very well appointed laptop with much more functionality.
My friend also bought an Apple brand case for the iPad (seen here). Although the case doesn't stay closed on its own, I like that it folds back on itself to transform into a stand.

I do think this device is going to revolutionize portable computing.

No comments: