Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The girl's got soul

As much as I realize that American Idol is musical pablum for the masses, I've had my eyes set on Crystal Bowersox, or Mama Sox as
she's known by her adoring fans.

Although not in the same league as other divas with bona-fide pipes, Mama Sox has that certain something that exudes emotion and she has a presence I've not seen since Janis Joplin was alive.

Speaking of Joplin, Hollywood has been searching for the appropriate artist to play the long departed Janis in a movie about her life and I think the logical star of that movie is now quite obvious. With a little vocal and acting coaching, I think Crystal could do for the Janis Joplin story what Jennifer Hudson did for the musical Dreamgirls.

(I wrote the above part before the finale announcing the winner)

She didn't win. I thought she should have won.

No comments: