Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympic report card

Time for Karl to weigh in on the 2010 Winter Olympics broadcast discussion.

As far back as I can remember, of the major networks in Canada, CBC has historically owned the Olympics to broadcast to Canadian viewers most of the time. This time around however, CTV won the rights to broadcast these Games. I will state right up front that I have always been biased in favour of CBC over CTV. I have my reasons, the least of which is that CTV rides on the coat-tails of American programming (good on them, but I'm just saying) while CBC does create more home grown content. I also feel that the CBC network has consistently produced better sports programming over the years and I felt they would (in theory) do a better job of showcasing the Olympics.

SO, how have CTV fared? Well, the best thing that happened to the CTV network in preparation for these games was that famed Canadian sportscaster Brian Williams switched sides from CBC to CTV and was handed the reins as the primary anchor. CTV also benefits from their partnership with TSN (Canada's biggest and oldest Sports Network), which brings a cadre of experienced professional sportscasters into the fray. I was concerned that regular CTV buffoonpersonality Ben Mulroney would make appearances, thereby adding to the embarrassment factor. So far, he has managed to stay away from the camera.

But the sense I get from the broadcasts so far is that the whole thing has turned into a circus. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just get the feeling that the network is crowing just a bit too loudly regarding their scoring this event to themselves. I guess you could say I detect a lack of modesty. CTV is doing an OK job, but I see little glimpses of amateurism from time to time. When you're commentating on a live race for example, it's generally not a good idea to speak as if the race is won when a large portion of the track is still in front of the competitors. I lost count of the number of times the commentators christened a Canadian athlete as the sure-fire winner half way or three quarters through a race, only for that individual to be passed in the last few seconds of the race.

So in summary - not a bad job, but not a great one either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not very happy. I haven't watched two minutes of the Olympics because the Canadian channel is blacked out here in Sea-town. I refuse to watch NBC, it's far too commercial for my good.