Monday, January 18, 2010

Fail whale visits Home Depot

I have a message for Home Depot. This applies to other stores too, but right now, we'll stick with Home Depot.

If you can't fit the entire stock you carry in bigger stores in the smaller outlets, then I'm sorry, but you should just give up and stick with the bigger stores. Either that, or put a big disclaimer sign out front that says: "We may carry a lot of crap, but we don't carry the crap you're looking for..."

I understand the economic sense of just-in-time delivery and keeping stocks as low as practical, but let me share an anecdote with y'all. I've probably been to Home Depot a dozen times in the last 3 years shopping for economy grade furnace filters. The frequency of visits is not due to a filter fetish, but simply because pretty much every time I go, they're out of the size I need. Oh, they have plenty of alien spore grade filters, but I'm not paying $30 for a filter..... sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The filters are in stock. They're in a box on one of the many huge, unpacked pallets that are usually parked right in front of whatever I'm looking for.

Skid said...

Come on now Karl.
I am sure the small outlets are still helping lots of poeple.
sounds like you are criticizing for the sake of just that.
The need had to be there for home depot to break ground on those smaller outlets.I know we like to hate the big ones but they do thier homeworks before they do expension and that's probably why they got big.
Cheers.

Karl Plesz said...

@Christine: LOL!

@Skid: Of course I am! It's all part of the shtick or game as it were. But I'm also partly serious. They never have what I want in stock when I go. That makes me..... critical.