Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The apparent solution to better coffee - no heat

I am suddenly intrigued by a coffee (and tea) brew method that I just came across called cold brewing. The concept is simple - you essentially add cold water to course grinds (or loose leaf in the case of tea) and let it cold brew on the counter for 12-24 hours, depending on the specific system used and the desired strength. Once the brew process is over, the resulting concentrate is filtered and stored and is added to hot (or cold) water using a roughly 1:4 ratio to create the perfect cup o' joe (or tea). The concentrate can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. The reason given for cold brewing (aside from not needing any power) is that it supposedly makes coffee with no bitterness at all and 70% less acidic, making it stomach-friendly. This means no heartburn.

One of the more practical cold brew systems I've seen online is this Hourglass model, which has all the parts you need to make coffee or tea with no heat and 12 hours to spare.

Has anyone had any experience with this process?

3 comments:

Dvd1of1 said...

This sounded interesting so I tried it last night and I'm having a cuppa right now. All I can say is WOW. What a difference, I made it in my Bodum French press. I didn't know the quantities so I eyeballed it off the video. I used Cubita Molido Dark roasted coffee and filtered water. I let it steep for the 8 hrs and mixed it about 40/60 with boiled water. I like it, nice full bodied flavour with little acid and no bitterness. I'm going to take a thermos of the essence to work and mix it as I need it.

Dvd

Karl Plesz said...

That is so cool Dvd. Thanks for letting us know about your experiment. I'm even more intrigued now.

Roughriders Girl said...

I am also intrigued....