Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Karl's public resume

So of course, being unemployed allows you to sit back and try to focus on what it is you would like to do next. Not one to limit myself, I'm open to anything right now. Don't mind this post too much, it's just yours truly distilling his thoughts on potential career choices in the public eye. Who knows, maybe someone will read this and think to themselves, "Geez, we need to hire this guy.... NOW!"

Let's start with things I'm avoiding. Shift work. Too many extra-curricular commitments and family commitments to deal with that. Hard labour. Body's getting too old and complaining too much for that.

Things I'd be good at. Anyone who knows me knows I have the gift of gab. So if you need someone who can speak, I'm your man. Not one to shy away from talking to strangers either. Better still, I'm better than most people I know at explaining things. Which is why I am consistently attracted to teaching or mentoring in one form or another. Some call me the king of analogies, which means that I'll find a way to use things you do understand to help you grasp things you don't. I've recently come to the realization that I'm an idea guy. I've come up with names for businesses in minutes and had a great deal of satisfaction participating in development teams, especially helping with product usability from the perspective of the end user. My background in technology in both a military environment and a demanding, fast moving corporate arena means I've had to hone my troubleshooting skills to a fine art. My military background also lends itself to my loyalty, reliability and perseverance.

So although I've only been involved as a technologist, trainer, and tester most of my career, I think there's got to be more out there that I would do well at.

2 comments:

Retro Blog said...

For the sake of all good Canadians, go into POLITICS! You are perfect!

Karl Plesz said...

Ha ha!! You're funny.