Monday, April 27, 2009

I guess we were cool

Sometimes when you're young, you're surrounded by greatness and cool and don't even realize it. I was watching a CBC newsclip on the Clairtone stereo company. Back in the 1960's, only America, Germany and Japan were anybody in the home entertainment equipment business. Then along comes this upstart Canadian company - Clairtone. Suddenly, owning a Clairtone was cool and was the epitome of 1960's style. The history of the company can be found here.

Little did I know. We owned one. A T7 component amp. I asked my mother, we may still have it at home (the model pictured). It was shaped like a cube with a tilted front panel. It had these funky triangular knobs for tuning and adjusting volume, bass, treble and balance. All the remaining functions, like selecting from audio inputs and adding 'loudness', etc. were done via these trippy flip switches across the top of the front panel, with little indicator lights when they were selected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well whaddya know. That sure brings back memories. I hadn't thought about that thing in ages. Thanks for the picture...I feel like a kid :) Heidi