Thursday, March 26, 2009

Am I right or am I wrong

Being a weatherman must be one of the most thankless jobs on the planet. When I lived in Kingston Ontario, predicting weather was always chancy because of Lake Ontario. The lake acts like a magnet to storms, you just never knew if the magnet was going to repel the storm south of the lake (missing us), north of it (socking us straight on) or be attracted over it (glancing us with its side).

Calgary must have its own elements of uncertainty because each TV or radio station seems to have its own interpretation of the upcoming forecast, never mind Environment Canada. It may stem from the fact that weather forecasters in Canada have 2 sources of weather forecast computer models - an American model and the Canadian weather model. Which begs the question - which model has the best record for accuracy. I don't know. I do know that I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people discuss the forecast and someone pipes in "That's not the forecast I had heard..." I also know that the favourite slogan for those who talk about the weather here is "If you don't like the forecast - just wait 5 minutes."

No comments: