Saturday, February 28, 2009

Free supper, worth the 15 minute wait

I had quite the dinner out last night. Darlene and I went to one of our favourite joints (Joey Tomato's) where, because of the time we arrived I knew we were in for a wait to be seated. It turns out that we got seated fairly quickly all things considered. What we did end up waiting for - at least 10-15 minutes, was for a server to show up. A manager showed up first and knew we had been waiting a while before he even asked. He took our order, then a server came by and asked if we had been helped. When we said the manager already took our order, she went white, knowing she was probably in supreme trouble.

I wanted something different to eat and they were sampling out sweet chili chicken at the front waiting area. Now normally I don't go near spicy stuff because I have a very low tolerance to spice. I know a lot of people who love the sensation of their mouths being on fire - I'm not one of those people. But this sweet chili sauce was very tasty, a little kick, but not enough to ignite your taste buds. So I ordered it. In case any of my Canadian readers have the same spice issue I do, the sweet chili chicken is AOK.

Another manager came by (restaurants need more than one manager now?) and after apologizing way too much, said tonight's dinner would be on the house. I made sure to leave the server a grandiose tip.

No comments: