Sunday, September 28, 2008

Will tattoos eventually become 'mainstream'?

Darlene and I were talking about the growing numbers of people (especially women) with tattoos in visible places. There was a time that some workplaces would not hire you if a tattoo was visible while wearing traditional work clothing. But I seem to sense a growing moderation of attitudes toward tattoos and there is a point where you won't be able to discriminate against people with visible skin art simply because they are in the majority.

What brought this up is that while we were eating at a restaurant (Joey Tomato's) that sets the stage by hiring shapely young women and dressing them in curve-hugging outfits, I noticed that not one of them was sporting a visible tattoo. I have to assume, based on the average number of times I see art on a young woman, that the only explanation for the lack of skin enhancements is a policy forbidding them on employees.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, I'm guessing there are still places where tattoos are verboten in the workplace - at least they cannot be seen. I wonder aloud how long that type of policy will remain. How long will it take for tattoos to become mainstream?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do hope the day where visible tattoos and facial piercing become mainstream and acceptable comes soon. it's sad that people are not hired because of a simple eyebrow or lip ring or tattoo when they could very well be the best employee ever.

Retro Blog said...

I could see tatoos going mainstream if the culture adopts visible or facial tatoos as identification such as tribe, gang, corporte. I can't say I would want the CVH rainbow logo tatooed above my eyebrown, but who knows.

ZooooM said...

I work in a law firm, one of the most unforgiving climates for visible tattoos. We can't even wear jeans on casual Fridays.

I am simply a secretary, so what I get away with doesn't fly for attorneys here.

I have a tattoo that sometimes peeks out of my shirts. It is on my right back shoulder blade. In the summer, if I wear a white shirt, I am careful to wear an under shirt to try and cover it. Sometimes though a star will peek through.

I notice some tattoos on people's ankles, or I'll see one peek out of a shirt sleeve. Lots of people have them, lots of people hid them.

It IS becomming far more acceptable than it ever was. I don't believe that it will be completely ok to have them in full view in our lifetimes. At least not in the traditional work place.

I have mixed emotions about them. I love mine, never regretted getting it and don't think I ever will. But I don't necessarily believe that my employer should have to accept it, either.