Friday, July 18, 2008

If it's not one thing, it's another with AC

Just before I left on my business trip this week, a major research firm asked me to fill out a survey about Air Canada. I happily obliged. I did not hold back. Let me say up front - Air Canada isn't a horrible airline in my opinion. They just need to show Canadians that they care about their customers more. In their defence, I have noticed an appreciable improvement in some of their staff's demeanour. That's very good. I predict that by the time they get the staff marching to the same drum, they'll have a new problem - their equipment.

On the flight to Ottawa, the entertainment system (TV screen on the back of the seat in front of you) was a God send. It made the flight go by very quickly - when it worked. They had to reset the system once for some reason near the beginning of the flight. I'm guessing it had to do with every passenger on the flight suddenly turning their systems on and trying to watch a program all at once. The system probably can't handle it.

On the way back, I would just get settled in to watching a good program (after watching the 10 minutes of commercials that lead into it) when the whole system would go dead. Black. 5 minutes for the staff to notice something was wrong. 5 - 10 minutes to reboot the system. This happened 3 times during the flight. By the time we had a working system, we were beginning our descent into Calgary. If I had a dollar for every rolling eyeball I spotted throughout the plane, I'd have enough to buy supper for two tonight.

Message to Air Canada: Maybe you could look into the robustness of your entertainment system? There's no point in having one if it can't handle the demands placed on it. Oh yeah....... the maps. People are getting a little miffed that there's an option to look at a map of where you are..... but it has yet to see any functionality. Could you please get this up and running?

No comments: