Thursday, December 27, 2007

Longing for the personal touch

I really miss the small local merchant business model. The model that allows for a store to stock what sells in that market or to stock what customers want versus what a national or global conglomerate wants it to stock. I have seriously lost count of the number of times I've purchased a particular product for years in a row only to discover one day that the product is no longer stocked by a certain big box store (BBS). I long for the return of stores with that personalized touch, which look different from other similar stores and have the ability to stock what they choose. If a particular flavour or variety of a product is selling well, I'd like a store to order more of that flavour or variety, instead of always being sold out but offering dozens of the flavour or variety that doesn't sell.

Minute Maid frozen Watermelon Punch - used to be able to get it, now it's been off store shelves for years. It didn't disappear because Minute Maid no longer makes it.... so what's the problem? Uncle Ben's Stuff'n Such dressing mix - no longer stocked by Safeway. Why? It's the best mix available because the spice packet is separate from the croutons. I could write a book.....

Hey - I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I've gotten tired of walking into BBSs and being able to predict what is on every shelf of every aisle. Worse, I reject the idea that I cannot get a BBS to stock something I'd like to buy. As a consumer I feel like I'm being held hostage.

OK, I'm done ranting for now.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Don't get me started on salad dressings that never get re-stocked.