Saturday, October 06, 2007

Try it if you think it's so easy.....

I don't know a lot of people in the arts, but ever since I got into acting classes and all, I've been introduced to a few folks in the business. Plus, anyone I know who has any connection with the arts now suddenly relates to me on a whole new level. Except for one small problem.

It seems that improvisation is the black sheep of performance art. I get a noticeable upturn of the nose whenever I mention that I'm focusing on improvisation. It's not just my perception either, Darlene noticed it too before I even said anything.

Message to the arts world: Improv is not easy. It may lack the nuances of learning dialogue and evolving characters, but that challenge is replaced by the necessities of unbridled imagination and the ability to think on your feet. Otherwise, it's still acting and it's harder than you think.

[stepping down from soap box]

3 comments:

Gale said...

As an audience member it is of my opinion that improv is harder to do. Thinking/doing/speaking off the top of your head, I have a hard time doing that in real life. I'm just saying.

junebee said...

I read an article that said improv was good practice for corporate situations such as meetings. I also read a blog by another person who did improv but she made it invite-only so I couldn't read any more.

Karl Plesz said...

Yeah, this Improv company that I joined uses improv (by invitation) to help corporate employees shed some of their self-consciousness. It's very liberating. I'll be blogging about my experiences as they continue to build.