Monday, October 01, 2007

I'm not a tree 'hugger', more like an arm around the shoulder

As a resident of Western Canada, I am in perpetual awe with regards to the spectacular scenery we have here. One thing I've noticed of late is that when you drive through the forested areas of Alberta and BC, you don't really see that much evidence of clear cutting of the forests.

But thanks to Google Maps, you can now see what you've been missing. I really had no idea how much forest has been cut down. I'm not against harvesting trees, as long as it's sustainable. When I see the aerial shots of clear cuts in our part of the world, I wonder if maybe we've gone too far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Down here in Southern Oregon, there is usally a buffer of trees along the highway so you can't see the clear cut. Up by Reedsport they did not even bother with that, very ugly.

Karl Plesz said...

Royce, I had no idea you were in southern Oregon. What beautiful country there. Darlene and I have been to Oregon many times (it's one of our favourite places outside of Canada). Are you anywhere near Ashland?