Thursday, October 18, 2007

Focus your lobbying on me.....

I'm not crazy about the practise of lobbying the government. It exists in many democratic countries, but I feel the practise, while noble in principle, is easily corrupted by greed. You don't have to look very far to find many examples of governments making decisions based on the results of forceful (read: financially aggressive) lobbying.

I have a better idea. Lobbying should focus on the victim ummm population at large. This way, people could get access to not only the lobbyist's spin, but also hear opposing sides of proposals. Decisions could be made via plebiscite. It may not be the perfect answer. It may not even be the right alternative. But I certainly don't trust the average politician to make decisions in our best interest where lobbying has been involved.

No comments: