Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The pub burger a-la Anglaise

Yesterday was a long day. I tend to avoid discussion about work on my blog, but suffice to say we drove 4 hours (at 6am) to attend to some work, put in a day and drove 4 hours back to our hotel (arriving at 10pm). On our way back to Bournemouth, my colleague insisted we go to a little town called Heytesbury (just east of Warminster) to enjoy a nice pub supper. The place we stopped at was the Angel Coaching Inn. If you've never been to a small town British pub, they're charming little joints that instantly make you feel at home. And just like 'at home', there's nobody there to cater to your needs - if you want something, you have to ask. That goes for menus, placing your order, getting a drink, paying your bill, everything. But you still feel like you own shares in the place and everyone flashes a smile, even if they don't know you. We made 3 new friends (one of them a cute puppy) without even trying.

So, I said to myself, "self" I said, let's try their beef burger. Oh.... my....... God! This thing was massive. I tok one look at it and decided this thing needed to be eaten like a meatloaf - off came the top bun layer and I attacked that beast with a knife and fork. It was a real, homemade patty - thick and filled with tiny bits of fried onion and herbs. I could barely finish the thing, it was that big. All I can say is..... Bravo! That was a beauty, eh?

P.S.: Driving along the narrow twisty English back country roads at night is an adventure. Can you say blind spots?

No comments: