Thursday, June 14, 2007

Acting class update

Last night was acting class 4 out of 6. It was our first attempt at getting through our scenes without the script by our sides. We were allowed to get help with our lines, but now we were supposed to do it by calling for our line. The goal is to rely on that as little as possible.

I felt sorry for my partner. He struggled with his lines. I actually thought he would have done better than me, so I was surprised to see him forget as much as he did. Which in turn, caused me a little grief, because I had been trying to build a rhythm of what I should be saying next based on what he said last. So whenever he skipped a line, I was lost. Fun. The instructor said she applauded our efforts considering we were really playing a brutal game of catch-up, but I don't think my partner felt any better as a result. Oh well, we'll work on that when we practise this weekend.

Meanwhile, the other acting pairs are coming along nicely. It's interesting to watch how the actors' rhythm as developing. You can almost tell when the actor is paying too much attention to the blocking or getting the line perfect because the delivery appears a bit clunky. But this phenomenon didn't happen often. In fact, some pairs really put on a great show and had me convinced they were the characters. Any mistakes were unnoticeable by mere amateurs like us. I have to say that I am enjoying the watching as much as I am enjoying the performing.

This Friday, I'm meeting with some of the original Epcor acting class that ended up in the Saturday session, so it will be fun to compare notes. Apparently, both classes gave the thumbs up to allowing the other class members to attend the final performance, so I will get to see them strut their stuff too.

1 comment:

JuicyA said...

me and your partner were talking on the way out of class and he feels terrible about his lines... i think i helped him feel better when i told him i missed 2 entire exchanges with my scene partner.

i know you guys will rock it, dont worry.