Monday, April 02, 2007

Am I being too simplistic?

I don't know if this is a viable solution, but work with me for a second - I'm just thinking out loud.......

In Canada, we have this nasty habit of reducing government payments to pensioners for a variety of reasons. Military pensions, company pensions, secondary income of any kind, marital status all impact how much, if anything, you will get from your government once you reach retirement age.

Meanwhile, there are jurisdictions in this country, Calgary probably among the worst, who are suffering a ridiculous shortage of labour to do many kinds of work, but especially the lower paying service industry jobs. You would be hard pressed to find any store or restaurant in this city that isn't short-staffed and advertising for 'all positions'. It has gotten so bad that some stores have reduced their hours of operation due to the lack of available personnel. I've seen many fast food outlets close their doors at 6pm, or at the very least, close the eat-in area and just leave the drive through open.

I think the government would be doing seniors and the economy a huge service if they would cut pensioners some slack and let them return to the workforce without penalty. Let them have their full pension plus whatever they want to earn on the side. It helps them pay the bills and helps stores stay open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would actually prefer to have a restaurant close early than have to deal with a half brain-dead 70 year old that can't remember to say "Have a Nice Day" let alone get my order right.

junebee said...

I think they did that here. Previously, seniors who went back to work paid a dollar in Social Security tax for every dollar they earned. The tax law has been changed so now seniors are not penalized for working. If it's a choice between a senior or a gum-smacking teenage cashier, I'll take the senior every time. At least they have the right attitude and work ethic.