Wednesday, April 18, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 60

60. I've owned 4 cars and 3 motorcycles over my life so far. I drive an Acura TSX at the moment.

1980 - Honda 185cc Twinstar. Small, but eco-freakin-nomical! That was the best investment I ever made. Bought it for $1100 and traded it in the next summer for $1000 toward a.....

1981 - Honda 400cc CM400T. Kept it for a couple years, then bought my first car, a used....

1983 - Chevrolet Chevelle. Your first car is always special. This one served me well, until a buddy set it on fire trying to start it with too much ether. That would be the last used vehicle I would buy for 24 years.

1984 - A brand new Honda V45 Magna (750cc). Hard to believe I paid a mere $4000 for a brand new bike. Shaft drive. They say once you get shaft, you never go back to chain. I kept that bike for 4 years and put over 80,000km on it. Remember what I said about my love of driving? I suppose this is about where it started. Sold the beauty in late 1989 in anticipation of my first new car......

1990 - Honda Civic Si. What a cool car that was. Unfortunately, it was cursed. Broken into in some amateur thug's attempt to steal it. Bizzaro accident on a road trip to Washington DC. In fact, it was after this road trip that I concluded it wasn't a car well suited to long road trips. So we traded it in for a.......

1992 - Honda Accord DX. Not exactly the most exciting car in the world, but very practical. And roomy for a small car. Not bad on gas either. Kept the Accord for 12 years and put over 365,000km on it. By 2004, it was starting to cost me just a tad more in maintenance costs than I was willing to accept, so I bought a........

2004 - Acura TSX. It's really an Accord in disguise. With 200hp. Sport shift. I totally love this car.

[late entry] 2007 - Honda Jazz scooter (2003 vintage).

No comments: