Thursday, April 19, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 59

59. I served 20 years in the military.

How I joined - that's a funny story. A buddy and I were going to join together and on the day I went to swear in, he never showed up. Luckily, I never looked back.

It was a good career - I was essentially a telecommunications and IT technologist. I stumbled into instructing, which made up over a third of my career. I still instruct to this day. The last 5 years in the military were a bit of a drag, but that's only because I had outgrown the culture. But there are no regrets. That career gave me confidence, taught me some skills and in the end, brought me to Calgary.

2 comments:

Gale said...

What rank? Do I get to salute you if ever I see you? Um in a nice military way of course.

Karl Plesz said...

I made it to Master Corporal (essentially an American Sargent). I was too mouthy to get any higher, which was OK by me.

So - no saluting, sorry.