Friday, April 27, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 55

55. I often crave real chip truck fries.

Next to burgers, the most enjoyable food is fresh home cut french fries. My love of this food started when I was in high school in Deux Montagnes, north of Montreal. Across the street from my school, was Mario's pool hall. He had the creation of fries down to a science. He started peeling and cutting early in the morning and had a system where the fries were pre-cooked prior to the lunch hour rush and then he finished them off in the fryer as lunch time started. Students poured in to play pool, rock the jukebox and get some of those fabulous fries. Walk anywhere near the place and the smell of vinegar was strong and distinct. After I joined the military and got to Ontario, I was lucky enough to be thrust into a culture where french fry trucks, or 'chip trucks' as they're known, thrived. You could find them on street corners in most towns and they were a common sight in cottage country too. In Alberta, chip trucks are rare and you won't find many restaurants that sell fresh home cut french fries. For those that have cravings similar to mine, there is a Mecca in Calgary - Rocky's Burger Bus - 1120 46Ave SE (403-243-0405). It has great home-made burgers and fresh home cut french fries. What more could you want?

Are all these food posts making you hungry yet?

3 comments:

T. D. Fuhringer said...

I live in Ontario so I'm used to these, and was horrified to discover that most U.S. States have no concept of a Fry Truck. The one down the street from me makes the best fries ever and always has a huge lunch lineup!
Great post. :)

Gale said...

Naw we have taco buses where I live or roach coaches. Glad you are home and had a good time. As for Carla making fun of you??? Yes she does that to me too. Little sisters can be soooooooo cruel.

Jim said...

I agree with you 100 percent on the great burgers at Rocky's Burger Bus. And what is even better is the fact that I work just up the hill from it, about a 2 minute drive. I dont have quite enough time to walk there......besides there is always a lineup at lunch. So you have to allow for waiting time too.