Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sometimes music from commercials is quite good

The first time I heard this music was in a TV commercial – I don’t even remember the product, but the song won me over instantly. This first taste motivated me to find out who these guys were. They are the Dandy Warhols, from one of my favourite cities - Portland, Oregon.

I’m a sucker for a tune with an irresistible hook and Bohemian Like You has it. As I took a closer look at this band, I saw that their work is quite varied. The album Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia, is their best in my books. Aside from the Bohemian tune that I stumbled upon first, the opening track - Godless, just makes the hairs my neck stand up. Another track of theirs I like is You Were the Last High, from the album Welcome to the Monkey House. Tell me if it doesn’t sound a little like a David Bowie’s Ashes to Ashes….

I haven't decided if I like their latest albums Odditorium or Warlords, but some songs, such as Down Like Disco and Easy have great potential. Dandy? Oh yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard "Bohemian like you" quite a number of times on the radio. It has always grabbed my attention but for some reason I never heard who the band was. (taking notes)

Thanks


JM