Wednesday, November 15, 2006

We can always use more breakfast places

I had heard about this breakfast place in Quebec while I was away on one of my business trips earlier this year, but we never had the chance to go. Until now! Chez Cora's, or Cora's Breakfast & Lunch as it's known outside of Quebec, just opened its first (of many - hopefully) joint in Calgary. So what's the deal?

Cora's specializes in the early meal - they're only open until 3pm. They're known for their crepes and they tend to garnish almost every offering with lots of fresh fruit. I'm not big into the crepes, so I had your basic eggs / bacon / home fries / toast with a side of baked beans. Darlene had brioche with a huge helping of fruit, which I helped her finish, of course. It's not easy to get a healthy breakfast in most places, but Cora's makes it easy, if that's your thing. I really appreciated the fruit, if nothing else. They have real Montreal bagels, as well as other traditional Quebec offerings like cretons (a kind of pork pate to be eaten on toast).

Supposedly, they plan to open a few outlets in Calgary, which is great, because I can't be going on weekly treks to Deerfoot / 130th Ave SE every time I want breakfast out. If you live near that area, they're in that new cluster of stores near Canadian Tire and Superstore.

No comments: