Friday, March 17, 2006

Talk faster! FASTER!!

One of my admitted faults is the fact that I sometimes don't let other people finish their sentences before I start talking myself. I know it's impolite - most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it until it's too late. The I try to calm myself down and let the other person finish before I get my next two cents in.

So, thinking about this trait, I tried to determine if I've exhibited this behavior for a long time. I don't recall being like this my whole life, so I tried to figure out at what point did this begin. Then it dawned on me. Telephone Banking. When I pay my bills, I do so by phone. This service allows me to interrupt the voice menu and just press the number of the action I want to do next. It seems this activity is conditioning me to be impatient. "Yeah yeah - pay a bill! Come on, come on - from chequing! Not tomorrow - today!" Telephone banking (and every other service I use with an automated switchboard) has made it possible for me to shortcut the normal communications rhythm and get right to the next point. Now it seems that rhythm is spilling over into my person to person conversations.

Stupid technology!

No comments: