Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ubuntu - day 2

Well, it was a long day 1, let me tell you. Long story short - Windows doesn't make it easy to share space with a new OS. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd suggest Microsoft purposely made their file system so inefficient - errrr I mean proprietary, as to disallow upstarts like Linux from running on the same PC. But I prevailed. I can now choose between XP and Ubuntu when I turn the computer on. First thing I was greeted with by Ubuntu? "We have some lovely updates - would you like them?" Yes please. P.S.: Firefox? Standard......

Here's a picture of the default desktop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norm said...
Well done. Ubuntu run like the breeze (pun intended). I got Breezy 5-10 running on my test box Pentium III 600 256 RAM, Not as quick as others distro (Slack, Arch and Gentoo) on the same box but very good for the new user. Come with all the basic apps. The new user is not overwhelm like in some other distro. I agree with Jon, a post on your adventure will be nice as I always do a clean install, of both OS when I setup for dual boot. So hearing from you, which partitioning tool you used and the caveat you encounter would be nice.

epiac1216 said...

I received the Ubuntu CDs but am afraid to install in my hard disk, fearing I might screw up Windows XP. Reading your post, I can see it's not such an easy task.

One question. Tried to use Ubuntu 5.10 from the CD driver but could not connect to the web. I'm referring to Firefox 1.0.7. Do you know if any tweaking should be made? I would like to run Ubuntu from my CD drive instead of my fixed disk.

Can this be done and still use Firefox to surf the web?

Thanks in advance,

Omar.-

Karl Plesz said...

Omar,
Yes, you can use the Ubuntu Live CD to do what you mentioned. You're probably having the same issue I did - the reason Firefox won't connect is because you have to configure your network connection. Mine was disabled by default. In the menu - System \ Administration \ Networking, find your network card, make sure it's the default gateway device and make sure it's activated. Check the properties first, because DHCP may not be chosen and the 'enable this connection' may not be checked. As far as ruining your XP installation - no need to panic. Watch the blog, I will post my adventures and what had to be done very shortly.